• Changes to your meter and supply

  • If you're planning an extension or you need your meter moved, we're here to help.

    Any work including the cables running up to and including the meter will be done by the network operator. Anything after the meter or to do with the internal wiring of your home can be completed by an electrician.

    We may also be able to help with tree-cutting and repairs to external meter boxes or doors. If we can't, we'll tell you who can help.

  • Moving your gas or electricity meter

    To have your electricity meter moved, please give us a call 0800 980 8476* 

    We need to know where the meter is now, its new position and the approximate distance. We also need a daytime phone number so we can let you know how much it will cost. You’ll also need to contact a local electrician so that the wiring that connects your appliances to the meter is moved at the same time.

    If you haven't already thought about it, now would be a good time to move your meter outside. To do this you will need to provide and fit the meter box, which you can purchase from any branch of 'Jewsons'.

    If you’re unsure if we’re your local network operator, please phone us on 0800 975 1532*. Our advisers will take your details and pass them to the right people who’ll contact you to discuss the work.

    Moving your gas meter

    For queries about moving your gas meter, call our gas enquiry line on 0800 980 8476*. We may need to pass your details on to your local gas network operator to deal with your query.

    Although getting your meter moved is a chargeable job, if you or anyone in your home is registered for our Careline we may be able to help you with some of the cost.

    Arranging removal of supply

    If you no longer require your gas meter or electricity meter and cable, here's what you'll need to do:


    If you no longer need your electricity meter and cable, either because the property is being demolished or you are converting flats back into one property, you'll need to ask us to remove your electricity supply. You'll also need to send us a plan of the property and give us a daytime telephone number and correspondence address so we can contact you about the work. If the building is going to be demolished, we also need to know the demolition date.

    Although we own the cables, we need authorisation from your electricity supplier before we can disconnect them. We'll contact your supplier on the same day we receive your request and, while we wait for their authorisation, we'll prepare a quotation for the work needed to disconnect the property.

    We will start work once we have received:

    • your suppliers authorisation 
    • your acceptance of the quotation
    • your payment

    Please note that you need to give us six weeks' notice.

    Please phone us on 0800 048 3516 


    For queries about removing a gas supply, call our gas enquiryline on 0800 980 8476*. We may need to pass your details on to your local gas network operator to deal with your query.

    Request a new gas and electricity supply

    To request a new electricity supply, please write to us at Engineering Bureau, SSE PD, Walton Park, Walton Road, Cosham, PO6 1UJ.

    and include the following information:

    • A copy of the local street plan showing the location of the property.
    • A copy of the house or building plan showing where you would like the meter.
    • Details of the how much electricity you will need. Please give us a list of the main electrical appliances that you plan to use once the property is built. (For example four storage heaters, electric immersion heater, 7kw shower etc.)
    • A daytime contact number where we can reach you.
    • Your local network operator is responsible for this work. If Southern Electric is not your local network operator, please refer to your phone book or local classifieds directory for the correct phone number


    For queries about a new gas supply call our gas enquiry line on 0800 980 8476*. We may need to pass your details on to your local gas network operator to deal with your query.

    Meter box repairs

    It’s important that your meter box is kept in good condition to protect the meter inside.
    If your meter box gets damaged then it’s usually your responsibility to fix it. Replacement meter doors and boxes can be found at most builders merchants such as Jewsons.

    However if your meter box was damaged by a meter reader then contact us so we can help. If it was damaged by your local electricity distribution company, you’ll need to contact them. You can find the number to contact them in the front of your phone book.

    *We may monitor your call to help improve our customer service and ensure we meet our regulatory and legal responsibilities.

  • Find all the answers


    Find answers to the most common questions our customers ask us.

    Visit the FAQs

  • Get in touch

    Rh Contact us

    If you need a hand, you can contact us in a number of ways.

    Contact us now